What is considered an After Hours Emergency?

We do our best to allow our property managers and maintenance to enjoy their time away from work with their families. The following are considered emergencies and grounds for calling after hours to the property manager, utility company, or 911. Fire, flood, major roof leaks, no heat, sewer backup, toilet clogged, water line breaks, electrical issues endangering life, and gas leaks. If you smell a gas odor, immediately evacuate the property and contact NIPSCO at 1-800-464-7726 or 911. If there is a fire call 911.

When is rent due?

Rent is due the first of the month. The grace period with no late penalty is until the 5th. On the 6th of the month, a 5% late fee is applied to the balance, as well as on the 11th.

How do I make my monthly rent payments?

You can pay by E-check or credit card online through your personal tenant portal, mail a payment to our office, pay in person at our office or put in our office dropbox. Keep in mind personal check or E-check is not accepted after the 15th of the month, cashiers check or money order only after the 15th.

What if I cannot pay on time? Will I be evicted?

We understand things happen and people can get behind from time to time. We do our best to work with you, and COMMUNICATION IS KEY. Do not wait for us to call you as it may be too late to work out a payment plan to avoid eviction. We typically file for eviction on the 3rd Tuesday of every month for past due balances. Once filed, in addition to the late charges, you will incur a court filing fee of roughly $235.

What happens if a personal check or online ACH payment is returned?

You will incur a $25 NSF fee and late charges will be applied accordingly. We cannot waive the charges, even if it’s the banks mistake. You will be required to pay with cashiers check or money order going forward.

When I moved in I did not have pets, and now I want to get one?

Please contact your property manager before getting a pet to determine if that owner allows them and to discuss additional pet fee’s and deposits. If a pet is found at the residence, you will be back billed to your original move in date.

Who is responsible for maintaining the landscape?

If it is a single family home, you are responsible for maintaining the landscape, which includes edging, weeding, and cutting the lawn weekly.

What happens if I don’t take care of my yard?

If you do not have time or resources to maintain it, we can provide a list of references for lawn companies to service your landscape. It is very important to maintain the lawn and landscape to keep good curb appeal for the whole neighborhood. Tall grass and overgrown weeds not only affects your neighbors, but can lead to fines from the local municipality. We have a very strict policy regarding this, and if it violates local code, we will send a lawn crew to cut and clean the yard without warning and bill you accordingly.

Can I install a satellite dish or cable?

Satellite dishes are acceptable at single family homes with written permission. They are not allowed on multi-unit buildings. Cable is allowed anywhere it’s provided.

Who can occupy my property?

Only those listed on the lease can occupy the property. The lessee is in violation of the lease if any person or persons other than those listed are residing in the subject unit. Occupancy by guests for more than 10 days is prohibited without Landlord’s written consent and would be considered a breach of the lease agreement.

How do I add a person to the lease?

If you would like to add someone to the lease, they would need to fill out an application with us and be approved. Once approved, they can be added to the lease.

Who do I contact regarding a maintenance issue?

You can submit a maintenance request through our tenant portal online or call your property manager.

Can I be charged for a maintenance issue?

Yes. If it is determined the maintenance issue was caused by the tenant, the tenant would be charged. Examples of this are wipes/feminine products flushed down the toilet clogging the sewer line or not replacing a furnace filter causing a furnace to break down. You may also be charged if a maintenance man shows up to a maintenance appointment and cannot access your unit.

Can I make alterations to the property, such as painting?

Written permission is needed prior to any alterations being done to the property. If alterations are done without permission, you may be charged to bring the unit back to its original condition.

What happens if I need to vacate the property prior to the lease expiring?

A written 30-day notice is always required. If it’s your original lease term, you are responsible for the rent and utilities until the unit is re-rented, and a penalty of 5% of the remaining amount due on the lease is charged. If it is during the lease renewal, you have two options. First option is stated above (pay until re-rented). Second option is a buyout, which is equal to 20% of the monthly rent for each month since your renewal started. So if your rent is $1,000/month, your lease renewal began March 1st, and you wanted to break your lease on June 30th, the break lease fee would be $800 (4 months x $200/month)

If I want to vacate the property at the end of the lease what steps need to be taken?

Please fill out our 30 Day intent to move at our office. If you are in need of another rental home or looking to purchase, we would be happy to assist you with any of your housing needs.

Can the Security Deposit be used as last months rent?


How do I get all of my Security deposit back once I move out?

The general rule of thumb is that if the home is in the same condition it was when you moved in, with exception to normal wear and tear, then your deposit will be returned. Anything that needs to be done to return it to the original condition will be taken out of the security deposit.